Back from a hiatus

Wow, it's been a long time since I've written here. Three years as a matter of fact.

Three years is a long, long time frame. When I last wrote here, I was still in college. The initial years of college went about in trying to make sense of my interest levels for subjects. I wasn't much of a brash, fun-loving guy who bunked lectures at a moment's notice. So the first two years were mostly concerned with my nose in the thick pages of a textbook, and recreation in the form of TV shows.

My third and fourth years - the latter half of my college life - took a turn for the better, wherein I learnt how to loosen up. I began to take part in extracurricular activities whole heartedly, and I saw the hallowed walls of my college with a renewed interest - not merely as a source of education, but as a pool of memories which I could cherish for a long time.

I fell for someone in my final year. I never really had the nerve to tell the girl in question - a junior, incidentally - about how I felt. For I'm not really a mushy type of guy, and I didn't know how to go about it. I was always afraid of the outcome. What if she doesn't like me back? What if it doesn't work out? Somehow, the destination became more important than the journey. But what's life without a few regrets?

In my second year of college, I was frustrated. Angry. My friends were scooping up internships for themselves, and I was stuck whiling away my time at home, going for the occasional movie or outing with friends, not doing something. In my hatred of being idle, and in my hunger for a fruitful hobby, I took up writing.

I began writing about technology, and all the trends involved in the major sectors. Writing about something which I was passionate about came naturally to me. Before I knew it, my fingers flew over the keyboard, articles after articles after articles. Some of them for some very reputable publications. Some of them with very thought provoking content. Some of them utterly garbled nonsense and random musings. But it's a hobby I still pursue to this very day, and I'm happy I haven't given up.

Just last year, I became associated with an organisation that helps bring technology to hospitals. We work closely with doctors and medical practitioners, and every day brings a new challenge that I want to take head on. Because I've realised that technology without appropriate use cases, or limited use cases, technology without a greater impact, is worthless. And this motion drives me, every day, every moment. When I write, I don't praise the product, but the target application. When I code, the technology is a tool through which I know that somehow, I'm helping in a time-constrained workplace where every action has a domino effect and impacts lives.

Three years. I've grown from being a shy boy to a more confident individual, who wants to bring about a change in the world. A young man, if I may say so myself, who wants to make the most of the time on his hands. Someone who goes beyond the face value of things, and tries to envision their impact in the long run.

These three years have been a roller coaster ride. But without a doubt, the most important years, till date.


Comments