First Day Of College

Ever noticed how, in the movies, college life is always portrayed as a bunch of guys hanging out, bunking classes and generally chilling away
I had made the unfortunate mistake of expecting all that on my first day.


So it started off like any other day. I was a little nervous, and very excited, as I entered the gates of my college. After checking which division I was in and then sitting in the designated classroom, I thought of talking to a few people around me.


Soon, the professor came, and everybody promptly shut up . Some girls in the front even stood up to wish the professor.
"This is going to be your first Electrical lecture!", the professor said.


Shit. My first class was supposed to be Basic Civil, not Electrical. Which could only mean one thing...


"Sir I'm in the wrong class. Could I please be excused?", I managed to squeak out to the professor.


The professor gave me a puzzled look and nodded.


Running out of the class, I went over the timetable once again in my head. All I needed to do now was to find Classroom 308 and I'd be in the right class.


As luck would have it, 308 was two floors up.


Panting, I ran up the stairs and finally made it to my classroom, where thankfully, the teacher was still standing outside.


"Good morning sir, is this the Civil lecture for the first year?", I asked.


"Yes, get in, I was just about to start", the professor smiled.


I got in, took my seat, drank some water and took out a notebook. Being the first day we didn't know which textbooks to buy, so I didn't have anything but a few notebooks and my stationery in my bag.


The lecture began, and it was mainly all about an introduction to Engineering. I listened, with a fair amount of interest, as the professor now went on to what would be there in our syllabus.


And then there was a roar from outside the classroom. Everybody turned to look at what person could possibly shout so loudly.


The source of the noise then came into our classroom. It was a stocky, short guy; going slightly bald, and with a look of murder in his eyes.


"WHO DID NOT BUY THE TEXTBOOKS YET??!", the banshee roared.

Most of the people in the classroom stood up. I found myself standing too.



"THE DAMN BOOKS HAVE COME IN THE STATIONERY SHOP NOW! GO AND BUY THEM!!"


All of us literally ran for the door. No, not to buy the books, but to escape the wrath of this monster.


20 minutes later, and with a lighter wallet, I returned to the classroom, where we were told that we'd have to run to the main office to get the registration form for appearing for the University Examination.


Sigh. It was the same process all over. Run, wait in line, buy item of interest, come out of the shop, and run back to class.


My first day went mostly like that.  But I found a few people who were bitching about the monster (I later came to know that he was the First Year HOD), and we had a common topic to discuss. Funny how sometimes the bad guys can also bring complete strangers together as friends.


I'll remember that day always. Not only for the new friends I made, not only for the feeling that you get when you start going to college, but also for the free workout that day. And even though we can't bunk lectures, have to study a lot and basically forget about living life, life isn't so bad. It's like life wants us to remember the small moments which stand out among the rest.


My first day of college. Hated it then. Laugh about it now.




- Nivedit.



Comments